Does your toilet make noise even when out of use? If yes, you probably think you are living with a ghost toilet or a haunted toilet. Its not a ghost sounds that disturb you. Trust me, these are warning sounds that tell your toilet need repair.
Customers often complain My toilet makes noise when not in use-Why?Toilet mostly makes a strange whistling sound at your back only when there is leakage in valves, blockage in pipelines and fault in fill valves. These sounds tell you something is wrong in your toilet accessories and needs repair. So, don’t ignore such sounds.
If you are not an expert, then call plumbers immediately. They know better than you. If you want to trace the problem by yourself then read this blog thoroughly.
What makes your toilet noisy?
There are several reasons for the toilets making noise. But three reasons are very common like leakage in toilet valves, calcium deposit or defective fill valves. Lets us discuss each in detail.
1. Leakage in toilet valves
A leaky valve is a major cause of water dripping noise in the toilet. Why? This is because the valve will continuously drop water in the tank. Even when the toilet is not in use, you will hear a tip-tap sound. Water will go down from the crack area or loose joint of the valve in the tank. People should not ignore this sound as a problem will increase gradually leading to water wastage.
How to detect Leakage in the toilet valve?
If you are not sure whether it is valve leakage or something else. Follow simple steps to detect the real problem.
- Bend down to inspect shutoff valve carefully
- See if there are any moisture or water droplets
- Inspect the underside of the toilet for rust, crack and calcium deposit also.
- If there is moisture it is a sign of valve leakage.
2. Calcium deposit inside of pipes
Another common reason for the noisy toilets is the Calcium deposit in the inner portion of water lines. This deposit stops the flow of water as it clogs the pipe. As a result hissing or sometimes whooshing sounds always comes out from the toilet. Such noises are frustrating especially at night as it can disturb sleep.
How to figure out calcium deposits inside the pipe?
Tracing a Calcium deposit is not an easy process. Homeowners usually don’t know much about this problem. So, get the assistance of an experienced plumber if you are unable to detect. Here are signs of calcium deposit
- Presence of white deposit outside the pipe surface or near the bending area of the pipe is a sign of calcium deposit
- If the deposit is deep inside the pipeline then get the assistance of professional plumbers
- If you live in areas with hard water, this problem is very common. So test water quality also.
Calcium deposits can be removed by high powered water, cleaners, and powered water steam.
3. Defective fill valve
What to do if noise is still there after checking the toilet valve and calcium deposit? Don’t worry, it would be troubleshooting in fill valves. It is not easy to trace the faulty fill valve. If you are not expert and equipped with plyers or other tools, don’t try to reinstall this valve. Always get help from a plumber. If something goes wrong, you will not be able to handle water damage.
How to locate defective fill valves?
- An easy way to detect faulty fill valves is to see if the tank refuses to fill up with water. If this happens, there is a need to replace the valve
- Another way is to remove the lid of the tank, locate shut off valve and turn it off. Now flush all the water from the tank and then disconnect the water supply tube. Now locate nut underside of the toilet and screw it. Its time to pull out an old fill valve and insert a new one. Then connect water tubes also.
Don’t try it if you are not an expert. Contact professionals as they know more than you.
If noise is still there. What to do?
If noise is still there, then do some advance check for other possible issues. Let’s see what these checks are;
- Check the flapper of the lid. For this purpose, take off the lid gently and examine the condition of the flapper carefully. If it is worn out then replace it as soon as possible.
- Check the toilet handle carefully. If it is worn out then it will make the toilet run continuously. Replace handles immediately and noise will stop
- Keep an eye on the fill valve if it is shutting down properly or not. If not, adjust the float arm to the lower level inside the toilet.
If noise is still there then don’t hesitate to call a plumber.
Reading this article my toilet makes noise when not in use-why, this will enable you to figure out the right cause of troubling sounds. You know the right diagnosis always leads to the right decision and solution. Always keep an eye on your toilet accessories and repair them in case of any breakdown. If you don’t fix minor repair issues on time, it will likely turn major gradually that leads to cause damage to your property. Don’t hesitate to hire certified professional plumbers if you can solve the problem.